Unit 6

• Your own progression with technology. How has it changed the way you learn and shaped your professional practice?

When I think about this question it takes me back 12 years. Having a mobile phone that could only send a text message and make a phone call, and internet that required a dial up was standard. If someone had of told me back then that in under ten years’ time you will have the internet at you finger tips and would no longer require a phone line ,or computer, to access/process/interact, I think I would have laughed at them.

Technology is such a fast passed phenomenon that it scares me. It scares me for a few reasons. Firstly because I feel I can’t keep up to date with the changes and I feel I may be letting my students down. Then there is the issue with having enough devices (computers or tablets) for all my children to have full access to the technology. I also find it hard to find the balance between ICT and Pen and Paper. Because let’s be honest, technology is fantastic but it is not always that reliable.

As a teacher I find myself having to spend countless ‘free’ hours just using/exploring ICT so I can upskill myself to an appropriate level where I can teach my students. Don’t get me wrong though, I just like the next person, love the ease and accessibility of technology. However, as stated earlier how far do we have to go?

• Your feelings about the impact of technology on us as citizens

After reading and watching the material from this unit on the ‘impact of technology of citizens’, it got me thinking about myself as a teenager. As stated earlier, technology was nowhere near at the level it is today. Therefore we didn’t have the opportunities to be taught about the appropriate ways to use and interact using the internet. As educators I agree with Jenny Luca (Managing your digital footprint, http://jennyluca.com/2012/10/13/managing-your-digital-footprint-with-year-8/ ), where she talks about the importance of not blocking such sites as Facebook, but teaching our students how to be a ‘mindful digital citizen and take responsibility for managing your digital footprint’.

We find ourselves in this ‘digital climate’ having to ask ourselves what details are we giving over on the internet; but also how much are we starting to rely on technology. Being a ‘digital citizen’ requires us to be surrounded by countless outlets of technology, but requires us to know when to switch off and what is appropriate to be handing over. As our students find themselves travelling through the process of puberty, they have such a massive added pressure on themselves that we teenagers never had to face. As adults we can deal with the ‘digital climate’, but as educators I believe it’s our duty to teach our students the how, what and why of being a ‘digital citizen’.

• Your thoughts about the use of technology in learning and the role educators play in modeling the use of technology

The last question leads into this very topic. As educators we have such a large amount of topics/issues to cover in the day to day running of our classrooms. Technology is not going anywhere, so if we are going to use it in our classrooms it is up to us to model it appropriately. I believe we need to model the safety aspects, but also the wonderful things that technology can do to our lives.

• How technology can be used to support your chosen 5 characteristics of an effective learner

My five characteristics of an effective learner are modeled below.

As an effective learner I believe technology can support us in the following ways:

1. Responsible

Using technology supports us to be responsible for many aspects:

–         Time management; because let’s be honest we can all get a little side tracked on the internet at times.

–         Responsible for our own information and actions ; as children we are taught never to speak to strangers or say or do anything that you wouldn’t want done to you, using this same thought we can stay responsible for our actions.

1. Engaged

–         Technology has developed (and is developing) at such a great rate. Children that previously found school to be boring and disengaging are now finding themselves completing tasks that they would have found ‘boring’ previously.

1. Reflective

–         There are many ways of completing a task, or finding out information using technology. Being reflective is an important aspect of learning. Especially when using technology. We can find ourselves maybe using the wrong program or simply the wrong web browser to complete a task. As a learner it is the reflective process that allows us to improve our skills and efficiency.

1. Open Minded

It is important to be an open minded citizen. When using technology we come across many different opinions and thought. It is important for our students to be opened minded with the information they are discovering.

1. Curious

Being curious not such a bad thing, It can be used for good. It is important for learners to realize that with the technology we have at our finger tips, it is so easy to find out new and interesting things/information. But it is how we use this curiosity that truly matters.

One thought on “Unit 6

1. Our challenge now is to come up with meaningful programs that make use of the savvy things technology avail us to.
    Best wishes
    Yen
    PLN team